With Halloween just around the corner, why not carve pumpkins while letting your crockpot cook for you? Our Pumpkin, Avocado, and Black Bean Chili is a wonderful variation on traditional chili that freezes well and tastes even better as leftovers. Using Fairway canned tomatoes and dried spices, your chili is well on its way to being fantastic. As we recommend in all our cooking, use Fairway’s Olive Oil, which is shipped directly to the store in 200-liter barrels from off-the-beaten-path, small family growers and millers; the result is fresher, tastier oil specifically made to heighten any dish! Simply add the ingredients, flip on the slow-cooker switch and you’re cooking a hearty, heart-warming meal. This recipe is a definite keeper for the holidays!
Pumpkin, Avocado and Black Bean Slow-Cooker Chili
By LifesLittleLookBook for Fairway
(Prep Time: 20 minutes; Cook Time: 4-5 hours; Serves: 8-10)
- 2 tbsps Fairway Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can Fairway Diced Tomatoes, undrained – use about ¾ of the can
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsps dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsps Fairway Chili Powder
- 1½ tsps Fairway Ground Cumin
- 1½ tsps Fairway Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 avocados, cubed or thinly sliced, for garnish
- Green onions or scallions, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook covered on low heat for 4-5 hours. When plated, top with avocado and green onions.