International and seasonal ingredients make this hearty, warming meal a complete experience for you and your family. Basmati rice is one of the healthier varieties of rice as both the outer bran and rice germ remain intact, which means it keeps its nutrients. With its aroma of sun-baked wood and flowers it’s no wonder Basmati literally translates to ‘the fragrant one.’ For variation, try this curry with any of Fairway’s rice, such as our Fairway Italian Brown Rice. A dish great for leftovers; simply refrigerate curry and rice separately, re-heat and serve together!
Pumpkin Shrimp Curry with Fairway Basmati Rice
(Prep Time: 30 minutes; Cook Time: 10 minutes; Serves: 4)
- 4 tbsps Fairway Olive Oil; divided evenly
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tbsps ginger, minced
- 2 tbsps garlic, minced
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups vegetable broth (can use remainder for rice)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1½ tsp Fairway Hot Curry Powder
- 1/8 tsp Fairway Smoked Spanish Paprika or Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup butternut squash; peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb Fairway Cleaned Shrimp, de-tailed
- 1½ tsps fresh lime juice; lime zest and lime wedges
- 1 cup Fairway Basmati Rice (use water or broth to cook)
- Fairway Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prepare butternut squash (peel, deseed and cut); set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Mince onion and ginger; add to hot oil and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile mince garlic, set aside, and place squash on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive, salt and pepper; toss well to evenly coat and arrange the squash in one layer.
- Add garlic to pan once onion and ginger are soft. While garlic is cooking for about a minute, chop plum tomato and add to pan with pumpkin puree; cook, stirring frequently, until pumpkin is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- While pumpkin mixture is browning, place butternut squash in the oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the squash is tender turning once with a metal spatula.
- When pumpkin is browned, about 10 minutes, add vegetable broth, coconut milk, Fairway curry powder and Fairway Paprika or Cayenne Pepper; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water or broth and 1 cup of Fairway rice in a small pot to boil over low heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes in covered pot. Drain any excess liquid, fluff with a fork; cover and place aside.
- Add butternut squash, shrimp and lime juice (note: you can either keep squash in chunks or dice). Simmer until shrimp are cooked.
- Serve with Fairway rice. Garnish with cilantro and lime zest; serve with lime wedges.