Take advantage of the fresh, seasonal corn from Fairway Market in this light, warming chowder with fresh garlic, herbs, tomatoes and red bell peppers. This soup works great for a quick lunch or mid-day snack. Plus, it only takes 15 minutes to prepare! Get your vegetable fix with this fast new family favorite.
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 10 minutes; Serves: 4
- 4 cups fresh organic corn kernels, about 6 ears
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 leek, mostly just the white part with about an inch or two of green, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsps dried basil
- Fresh herbs for garnish (like parsley)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Put 2 cups of the corn and the 2 cups of milk into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the leeks and bell pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, remove corn kernels from husks.
- Stir in the garlic and basil, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, scraping up all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Return pan to heat.
- Add 2 cups corn and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the pureed corn/milk mixture and the diced tomatoes and heat until warmed through but not boiling.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish as desired. Optional: dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.