Easy, great tasting tuna coated with sesame seeds and quickly seared. Every fish and seafood aficionado will fall in love with this elegantly simple way to cook tuna, delivered fresh from the docks daily at Fairway Market from our finest fishermen. The toasted sesame seed crust packs a gorgeous, savory crunch, which compliments the buttery-soft tuna. Atop a healthy Japanese staple, the seaweed salad is packed with fiber, vitamins and important minerals. This refreshing meal marries two nutritious elements and, better yet, can be served in minutes!
Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna and Seaweed Salad
Prep Time: 2 minutes; Cook Time: 2 minutes; Serves: 4-6 people
For the Tuna:
- 1⁄4 cup black sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup white sesame seeds
- 4 Ahi-tuna steaks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsps grapeseed or canola oil
For the Seaweed Salad:
- ½ cup green seaweed salad
- 3 tbsps Fairway Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp wasabi paste
- In a shallow dish, combine the black and white sesame seeds and stir to mix. Season the tuna with salt and pepper, then coat the tuna evenly with sesame seeds.
- Make the dressing by whisking olive oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and wasabi paste. Drizzle half over the seaweed salad.
- In a pan over high heat, warm the oil until smoking. Arrange the tuna in the pan and cook until the white sesame seeds start to turn golden underneath, about 1 minute. Flip the tuna and do the same thing on the opposite side. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and cut each steak in half, or if you aesthetically prefer, into thin slices.
- Evenly distribute the seaweed salad over 4 plates; if you’d like, you can sprinkle a few black sesame seeds on top. Arrange two overlapping tuna slices on top of the seaweed salad. Either drizzle remaining dressing or place on tabletop. Serve immediately.