Whether you have made the full, vegan plunge or simply want to mix it up sans meat, this healthy meatless side is right up your alley. Go ahead, give your corn a kick with this spicy caramelized take on Fairway sweet corn. A one-pan wonder, fresh corn kernels are simmered to make this delightfully spicy side dish. Hurry up and take advantage of sweet corn while it’s still at its peak!
Spicy Caramelized Sweet Corn
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 15-20 minutes; Serves: 4 people
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 3-4 fresh corn ears (need 2 cups corn kernels)
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, cored, seeded and minced
- 1-2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy frying pan (Le Creuset) over medium-high heat until bubbling. Add the corn, scallions, and jalapeños, stirring to coat with the butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn begins to brown and stick to the bottom of the pan, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsps water and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze any brown bits (trust me, it’s the best part!), When the water has boiled off, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in about 1-1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice. Serve immediately, garnish with lime wedges.