Fairway loves using coconut oil for, well…just about anything you can do with coconut oil! In fact, coconut oil diets are becoming increasingly popular – many people feel that coconut oil helps them lose weight, increase their metabolism, and even fight disease.
Fairway offers a wide selection of coconut oil products from cooking sprays to organic refined and unrefined oil for cooking, skin, hair and so much more. Learn more facts about coconut oil, and try our tips to use it below!
About coconut oil
- Coconut oil comes from the coconut palm
- primarily from Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines
- There are two varieties: Tall and Dwarf, as well as hybrids of both
- As a tree nut, it is included as allergen under tree nuts
- Coconut oil is 92% saturated fat (the highest in nature), however it:
- is rich in lauric, capric and caprylic acids
- supports immune and digestive functions
- offers antiviral and antimicrobial properties
- digests quickly, produces energy and stimulates metabolism
Fun facts about coconut oil
- Coconut oil was the world’s oil of choice until soybean oil took its place in the 1960s
- More than 20 billion coconuts are harvested each year
- Is a coconut a fruit, nut or seed?
- The coconut can be considered all three: a fruit, a nut, and a seed
- Coconuts are ‘generally’ harvested by people ( the traditional method of men/women climbing and plucking the coconuts)
- Coconut water is by far one of the few naturally occurring sterile foods available -this is of course until the coconut is opened
Tips for using coconut oil
- Use it to replace butter in your favorite recipes (particularly baked goods and curries)
- Use it on your skin for a soft, radiant glow
- Perfect for sautéing veggies (and add your favorite legumes)
- Try it on your hair as a masque or conditioner
- Apply to nail cuticles to soften
Want more ways to enjoy the coconut? Try this smoothie recipe with shredded coconut and coconut milk!