Enjoyed extensively by the ancient Greeks and Romans, kale is widely known in nutrition circles as richly packed with antioxidant vitamins and minerals. In addition to ample amounts of fiber, kale contains carotenoid and flavonoid antioxidants that have been associated with many health-supporting benefits. Perhaps the most striking micronutrient found in appreciable amounts in kale is Vitamin K, which plays an important role in supporting strong bone formation, as well as protecting nerves from damage. Only 150 grams of chopped kale can provide 10 times the recommended intake of Vitamin K. Kale is also particularly rich in Vitamin A (needed to support healthy skin and membranes, as well as being essential for proper vision).
In addition to all the great nutritional benefits, kale is delicious and quite versatile in terms of the vast number of ways it can be prepared; not only in salad form, but also as a fantastic stand-alone side-dish, or even combined with other ingredients to enhance the flavor and dimension of your main course.
- Fairway EVOO
- Kosher salt
- Rinse/wash desired amount of kale in cold water and lightly towel dry;
- Remove the spine by folding the entire leaf and slicing off the thick middle stem;
- Tear, cut, or chop the leaves into bite-size pieces;
- Peel and chop desired amount of fresh garlic cloves;
- Medium heat sauté pan and add in extra-virgin olive oil;
- Add garlic (be careful to sauté garlic lightly for a minute or two, otherwise it gets bitter);
- Add kale;
- Stir-fry for another minute or two;
- Plate and add a sprinkle of kosher salt.