This is serious hummus. Fairway is fanatical about high quality, truly delicious food. We won’t dare put our label on anything less than superb. It goes without saying that we use fine, all natural ingredients; no artificial flavors, preservatives, high-fructose corn syrup, or hydrogenated oils are involved. And we wouldn’t even consider charging a non-fabulous price.
Hummus is chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) mashed up with sesame tahini and a touch of garlic. Ours has the silky texture of whipped butter. The taste is intensely chickpea-y, simultaneously rich and fresh. Get yourself a tub of Fairway hummus drizzled with good olive oil and some warm pita, and you have yourself a pitch perfect snack, or a great little meal.
For garlic lovers: Our sweet roasted garlic hummus is tinged with spice and plenty of garlic. I love the earthy kalamata olive hummus; and the roasted red pepper has layers of fresh, sweet veggie flavors. You can’t go wrong with our classic hummus — just garbanzos, tahini, and a touch of spice. Mediterranean spice is an explosive blend of dried herbs and exotic spices, a veritable torrent of flavor.
Here’s proof hummus is worth getting stirred up about: Lebanon and Israel compete over who can lay claim to conceiving this incredible stuff. They even go head to head with increasingly giant bowls of hummus. In 2010, 300 Lebanese chefs mixed up 23,000 pounds of chickpea dip in a giant earthenware dish to secure the record for universe’s biggest bowl of hummus. Huzzah!
You don’t have to amass giant quantities of hummus to appreciate its wonder. Garbanzo beans are fiber- and protein-packed, and bursting with folate, manganese, and iron. Healthy is great, but food also has to be delicious. Hummus fits the bill, and it’s versatile. Here are some ways to make use of that tasty container of Fairway hummus:
- Mix it with good olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper for a quick and wonderful salad dressing.
- Or scoop hummus on your salad for flavor, lush creaminess, and protein.
- A great hors d’oeuvre: Crostini smeared with hummus. Top with a cucumber slice and roasted red pepper; or roasted garlic and a sprinkle of paprika.
- Use instead of mayo on your sandwich. More flavor! Less fat! Falafel is a classic, but hummus, arugula, and turkey is can also be a winning sandwich. I love a hummus sammy with avocado and Fairway’s handmade mozzarella, especially with a handful of crunchy sprouts.
- Spread the hummus on a pretty plate, sprinkle with sumac, drizzle liberally with EVOO. Border with overlapping rings of pita wedges or cucumber slices, and you have yourself a worthy appetizer or side dish.
- Mix into tuna with a little Dijon, chopped scallions, and a handful of fresh herbs for a healthy, happy tuna salad.
- Serve lamb, or beef kebabs, or roast chicken on a bed of hummus. Top with pine nuts.
- Smear it on your bagel. It’s even better with thick, juicy tomato slices.
TELL US: How do you like your hummus?