Welcome to ON OUR PLATE

Fairway Red Hook Storefront

Our Red Hook Stomping Grounds -- Join Us!

We are driven to succeed in convincing you that you will enjoy Fairway’s ON OUR PLATE. We have mightily resisted referring to it as a “blog,” simply because the word annoys the heck out of us, but a rose by any other name would still smell like a blog, so we’ll give in. That being said, what we intend to accomplish here is to provide you with more than useful information. We want to offer vastly readable material that makes you even smarter than you doubtless already are, since you’re a Fairway shopper, of course, and because you deliberately sought out this website.

We will feed you dramatic minutiae — the scholarly stuff about the edible products upon which we thrive. Simply knowing that kumquats are in season is not what this is about. We want you schooled in the care and feeding of the kumquat, not to mention its history and its place in the realm of gastronomy. We want you privy to the choices we make for specific foodstuffs that we want you to enjoy as much as we do. You see, for our entire careers, we have operated via an unspoken credo to wit: If you can’t eat it (that is, anything in this life, including theater or concert tickets, great books, or fly fishing) then what’s the point. We may take on telling you about an entirely different breed of beef, lamb, pork, chicken, or duck than you’re used to seeing. We want you to agree with that and understand why you simply have to have it. Same goes for a cheese, ham, pate, or olive oil. The list can go on and on. We want you to share in the fun of knowing exactly where a type of food comes from — and why it’s special.

I, a lifetime food scholar and career counterman, will often be the tedious author of this kind of stuff. As will the great Edward Burke, ex-General Manager (beloved) of the flagship store and present GM of the Paramus store. We will solicit other Fairway denizens for the occasional rant, or we’ll hold forth on some nourishing subject, such as foie gras or customer relations, delivering details that will be as juicy as the ripest seasonal peach. We will also provide frequent caveats, data, and recommendations from our health and nutrition consultant, the great Carlon Colker, MD, whom we have hired at great expense, which we will pass on and cover simply by charging more for delivering your groceries. Just kidding. He’s actually a very dedicated Fairway shopper, and lifelong fan himself, who happens to have a huge reputation in his industry and merely wants to be a part of Fairway world. Can’t blame him, and we certainly welcome him.

This corner of our website will also offer timely info about what’s going on at Fairway, an entity that’s more than a market, affecting and connecting the lives of millions of people in different locations. I mean, I shop every day, and just like Fairway, I’m a New Yorker. But even if you live in New Jersey or in Connecticut, shopping at your neighborhood Fairway makes you a New Yorker, too — whether you like the notion or not. You can even be a Red Sox fan and still call yourself a Fairway person. Just don’t wear the damn hat in here.

Tell us all the reasons why you adore Fairway. Come on, don’t be shy. We can take the praise.

This entry was posted in Steve Jenkins and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Welcome to ON OUR PLATE

1. Lauren Holliday says:

Fairway is a New York City store……that’s NYC, not Texas or California.
    Can’t get better than Steve Jenkins and the rest of the Fairway crew for telling it like it is.
    Thank you.

2. elizabeth says:

There are so many reasons to adore Fairway, but they all boil down to one main theme: the passion and pride of the people working there. It really is a store for food people by food people, and it made our time in New York that much more delicious and the transition to Stamford a few months ago much smoother than I ever anticipated.

The fact that the cheese department carries upwards of 600 cheeses doesn’t hurt either.

3. I shop quite abit at the Fairway Market in Pelham Manor it is not to far from where I live and the selections are great. You can get lost in this store they have everything you need to satisfy you and your family and the muffins and the bread department are fantastic. I am glad that I have a Fairway Market near where I live.
    Thanks!

4. irene smith says:

Live in New York. Love your new store on the East Side. Best store is in Red Hook. From all the stores I visted the Red Hook is the only one that lists its ingredients in the “HOT FOODS” section. It would be a great idea to to this in all your stores – - easy enough to do. Your help in these stores are there for you all the time. In your Red Hook store they will come over to you and ask you “can I help you”.

Thank you for moving closer to the East siders in NY.

• CPorretta says:

Thank you for the suggestion! Keep them coming — as they come in, we will share suggestions with our managers.

5. Angela Cason says:

Since you moved to my neighborhood on 86th – a block and a half from my house – I’ve spent $175 on cheese (love the guys at the counter, also now addicted to Saga and Brilliant-Savarin), cherries, nectarines. Fairway is staffed by foodies: I stopped a manager and asked what to serve with grilled lamb — he popped right out with a passionate suggestion. (grilled asparagus and new potatoes). BTW, Julia Child’s “Way to Cook” has a great marinade for grilled lamb.

The only thing that keeps me from shopping there daily is the lines…

6. Maggie says:

How very cool that Fairway has – for lack of a better word – a Blog. A very perceptive person I know referred to Fairway as “the Grateful Dead of grocery stores.” This Blog and all that each Fairway offers both individually as well as collectively is just that cool. It is the embodiment of a sensibility that is New York. New Yorkers are New York and Fairway has successfully managed to cater to them all, right where it counts the most; their sustenance as gastronomy.

I’ve been shopping at my Fairway 2X/week for 20 years now and can honestly say that with each new store and all else that Fairway is involved with, the comfortably familiar is just that much more and better.

7. John Kelly says:

I tried their OBE Beef grass fed cattle from Australia. I don’t think I will ever eat another USDA steak ever again. The flavor brought me back to my childhood when cattle in the US were still grass fed. Unfortunately my closest Fairway is in Plainview over 50 miles away. Please come out a little further east now that you got me hooked on this beef.